Title/Object Name: White Castle
Creator: Unknown photographer
Date Original: Circa 1935
Physical Details: 9.75 x 7.75 inches
Description: Looking southeast at a White Castle hamburger stand, 3159 East Douglas Avenue. The national White Castle System, Inc. was founded in Wichita in 1921 by Walter Anderson and “Billy” Ingram. They expanded the chain of popular restaurants eastward. In 1933, Ingram, then the sole owner, moved the company headquarters to Columbus, Ohio. While still in Wichita, the company developed the distinctive, all-steel frame structure enclosed with interior and exterior porcelain enamel panels. The portable, 5-stool buildings were designed by another Wichitan, Loyd Ray. Note the company slogan, “Buy ‘em by the Sack,” which introduced homemakers to the idea of carry-out meals.
Keywords: Business and industry, café, lunch counter, architecture, Edgar Waldo Ingram.
Subject: Wichita (Kan.) -- Pictorial works
Collection Name: Tihen
Date Digital: 2003